Up Against the Wall?

Author: Anastasia V. Pergakis // Category:


As writers we all know what writer’s block feels like. I tend to think it is merely a figmant of the imagination, a block created by ourselves to not do something that is hard to do.

In my writing, I get blocked because of a few reasons -

1. I get bored wtih the story.
2. I don’t really want to write a scene.
3. My inspiration is gone. (I’ll explain this in a second because I think it is used too often in place of the first two)

Okay, point number one, I am bored with the story. That is good sign that I need to set it aside and work on something else. I don’t consider this writer’s block as I can simply write something else. So what block is there?

Point number two, I don’t want to write the next scene. This happens for a number of reasons – the next scene could be hard to write because it’s something new for me, or it could be that I’m about to kill one of the characters and that’s always hard to do, or it could be a situation that is closely related to my own life and hard to write about entirely. This is a self made block caused by our own fear. I don’t call this a writer’s block – I call it a “fear block” I find that if I take a deep breath and just shoot forward anyway, it works. Other times I might take a little break, work on something else or skip ahead and come back to this scene later. Either way in truth I’m not really “stuck”.

Point number three, My inspiration is gone. Okay first off, I hate this excuse – I think it’s a copout. A writer’s inspiratin or muse is never gone – you just don’t listen to it sometimes. Or it’s telling you something for another story and not the one you want. So what? That doesn’t mean it’s gone or that you’re stuck or that you have writer’s block.

Writer’s block to me is when you can’t write A N Y T H I NG – at all. I have never had that happen. I can always write about something.

But, here are some tips I use to make sure that I don’t.

1. Take breaks - a lot. I skip around from one story to another. Instead of fighting with one story and not doing anything for a month, I’ll work on a different project. It keeps the juices flowing and then I can come back to the first project with fresh eyes and thoughts.

2. Take breaks - a lot. Okay, this time I mean get away from the pen and paper every once in a while, walk away from the computer. Take a bubble bath, go for a walk, take a drive, call an old friend, etc. Just relax and refresh your brain and body.

3. Never discount anything! I write a lot of notes – and I do mean a lot. Everything inspires me – so pay attention to your surroundings. Conversation, a word, a phrase, an action can cause any sort of inspiration! Write them down as fast and as often as you can. You may not need it right now, but you might in the future. (These notes are a big thing that prevent the supposed “writer’s block” from ever coming up. A look over my notes and tada, I have something to write.) I have a notebook by my bed, in my purse, and at the computer. That way no matter where I am, I always have a place to keep my notes.

My main point here is to just keep writing – no matter what it is. Journaling, blogging, novels, poetry whatever. Just write – write every day – about something! Writer’s block will be a thing of the past as you will have plenty of inspiration – and above all practice – to back you up.

0 Responses to "Up Against the Wall?"

Post a Comment