O is for Organization

Author: Anastasia V. Pergakis // Category: ,


For N, I talked about Notes and how I organized those. So for today's post I'm going to talk about organizing your life -- or in a sense schedules. I'm a firm beliver in schedules even though I can never follow them! LOL


So since I can't follow a schedule even though I try really hard to do so, how do I keep up with everything in my life? (Kid, Hubby, Writing, Two Businesses, School, and MORE!)


I have a HUGE to do list. Seriously, I use the windows in my office as dry erase boards. The to do list takes up four windows.


One of the windows is a regular calender where I keep track of my husbands work schedule, doctors appointments (since we go two to three times a week since the car accident), when my homework for school is due, and when some of my blog posts are due.


Another window is split into two sections, one for each business where I highlight things to be done. This is sort of like a real numbered to do LIST for each business on what I need to accomplish. Some have due dates some are "when I get to it" types of things. Either way, they are on the list so I don't forget.


A third window has a list of workshops I moderate for Savvy Authors. Pretty self explanitory there, just helps me remember when one is coming up. I don't mod as much as I would like to anymore, but I still have a list that spans the entire year.


The fourth window is my "Mommy" to do list. While many of you might think I don't need such a thing, I do. This list helps me remember to do things like the dishes or mop the floors or start the laundry. I will seriously forget it I don't. (Note: I haven't kept up with this list in about a month so...need to do that...yea)


Now, in addition to my awesome window/erase boards, I also have two tack boards hanging up next to my desk. Phone numbers, blog post topics, and website codes on notecards or post its are all scattered up there, but I can find the info when I need it really easily. The other board is used for random notes and ideas I have about my books. It keeps my desk from becoming a pile of notes and scribbles.


Then of course there is the shelf with all my writing books, novel notebooks, and office supplies. And last, my computer itself.


SO - pretty crazy huh?


It might seem a bit overwhelming to someone just looking at it but it's the only way I do anything. I know I miss stuff every once in a while, but it would be SO much worse if I didn't have these things at all.


How do you organize your office/busy life? Do you have a strict schedule or just a "To Do List"?

6 Responses to "O is for Organization"

Nicole Amsler Says :
April 18, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I have utilized a three part To Do list for several years now. First column is things that need to be done now (in the next 3 days), the second is to be done soon (in next 1-2 weeks) and the third list is for the future (so I don't forget.)

I refuse to re-add to the list more than one time (except for the third column.) So far it has worked for me.

Great post!

nutschell Says :
April 18, 2011 at 4:41 PM

i love organizing! actually, i can't function well unless i organize everything. I have lists for everything and when my desk starts getting cluttered, i can't ignore it. I have to take the time to organize my surroundings before i can sit down to write. :) great meeting a fellow organizer through the a-z!
nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Shelli Says :
April 18, 2011 at 4:59 PM

This is the second blog post I've read today with tips on how to organize a busy life. And you both love lists! You might be on to something there.

Alex J. Cavanaugh Says :
April 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I'm probably more about the to do lists. I don't plan that far in advance.

Anastasia V. Pergakis Says :
April 19, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Nicole: That sounds like a great to do list. And I love your refusal to re-add stuff to it. I'm the same way.

Nutschell: Oh yes, my desk has to be all organized before I can do anything too. The funny part is I'm a terrible housekeeper but hey - at least my desk always looks spotless! LOL

Shelli: Lists are great! I do love them. Like I said, I can't follow a schedule to save my life so lists are the best way to go for me to keep up with things.

Alex: Right. To do lists are great for short term or long term projects. They are universally awesome!

ToV or NOT ToV Says :
August 29, 2023 at 5:19 PM

Awesome blog yyou have here

Post a Comment