K is for Kissing

Author: Anastasia V. Pergakis // Category: ,


Raise your hand if you don't like kissing! (If your hand is up right now you are either a liar or never kissed before.)


Now, since I blog about writing here, let's talk about when your characters kiss and how to write the scene in a good way. First, I'll admit, I don't think I have any real talent with this type of scene - but I do know how it's SUPPOSED to go. LOL


Do you know that part in the movies when the characters look at each other, and the music plays and you think "They're going to kiss."? You just know it! In writing it's pretty much the same. Everything in the scene is set up to give the reader the tingling feeling of "OMG! They're going to kiss!"


First thing to do, before you get to the scene, is build up the tension. Specifically, the sexual tension. Make it so that when the reader gets that tingling feeling, it's exciting! Build up the tension throughout the story up to that point with heated looks, touches, and maybe even those teasing almost kisses. That way, when you get to the scene, the reader (and the characters) breathe a sigh of relief and think "Finally!"


The actual scene can very depending on your characters, the plot, and location. In Cleanse Fire, the first real kiss happens in a brothel!!! (What better place right?! *laugh*) In another book of mine, titled (for now) The Adventures of Ryn and Cyime, the first real kiss happens in the middle of the woods. It all depends on your plot and the characters. Remember to have it make sense though! I hate reading stories where the characters kiss randomly at the wrong time and place (and I don't mean like those quick "I'll see you later" kisses - but the real passionate, steamy kisses). So make sure it's the right time for it to happen.


Erotica writers can have the "kiss" happen earlier if they like as the tension can continue up to the big steamy sex scene. But for writers like me where the romance is sort of the side-side story, the kiss usually happens later in the story. Of course, that's me. You, your plot, and your characters might say oh no, this needs to be earlier. Like I said, make sure it's the right time and place based on the story.


All right, so you have the tension, the right time, the right place - now what? Well, make the characters kiss each other duh! Okay, there is more to it than that. The same kiss can feel totally different depending on whose POV you're in. My male characters usually tend to focus on what her lips feel like, what his and her hands are doing rather than what emotions he's feeling at the time. While my female characters focus more on the effect of the kiss and the emotions she feels while it's going on. So, with that in mind then you can write the scene effectively, depending on whose mind the reader is in for the scene.


I love kissing scenes so much, I decided to share the scene from Cleanse Fire to end this post - okay, no, it's not the brothel scene. Sorry, you'll have to read the book for that one! But I'll share the almost kissing scene with you at least. :)



Derac held his arms out to her and she stepped into his warm embrace. She breathed deep, inhaling the scent of ginger on his body.

“I always feel safe in your arms,” she mumbled into his chest. She snorted. “Gods, that sounded stupid.”

His chuckle vibrated against her cheek. “No, it doesn’t. I like holding you too.”

She titled her head back to gaze up to his face. His emerald pools entranced her and she couldn’t look away. A sliver of moon light shine on his face and made his eyes glow.

His hand rested on her cheek, his thumb tracing small circles. Kie’s lips parted of their own volition. Her breath hitched as he leaned closer. His mouth hovered just above hers.


A small whimper escaped her throat. His lips brushed across hers in a feather light touch. Her chest ached from holding her breath. She pressed against the hard planes of his chest, urging him to keep going.

A twig snapped. Derac’s body stiffened. He gripped her waist and threw her over his head into the tree. She choked down a scream and grabbed the nearest branch. Her leg wrapped around it and she settled on her stomach.
(Yes, I'm well aware that I am evil to my characters.)

5 Responses to "K is for Kissing"

Anonymous Says :
April 13, 2011 at 10:24 AM

The third Kiss post I've read this evening...awesome! And you Need to be evil to your characters, all writers do :)

I did Kiss too, kiss/kill ....

Unknown Says :
April 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Hi! Just stopping by from the A to Z Challenge!
gigglelaughcry.blogspot.com

Unknown Says :
April 13, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Loved the scene. Kissing scenes are interesting to write and read when not overdone. Thanks for sharing.

Ella Gray Says :
April 13, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Great post! I love writing kissing scenes, but sometimes my participants get carried away and I have to remind them to keep it PG-13. Maybe they're trying to tell me I need to branch out, LOL.

Anastasia V. Pergakis Says :
April 13, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Damyanti: Yes! I have permission to be evil. Mwahahah!

Giggle, Laugh, Cry: Thanks for stopping in!

Cheree: Thanks so much! It is one of my favorites in the book.

Ella: LOL Mine get carried away too. I think it's perfectly normal - or at least I hope so! LOL

Post a Comment