I is for Industry

Author: Anastasia V. Pergakis // Category: ,


Welcome back ladies and gents! Continuing on with the A to Z challenge here. Has anyone lost their mind yet? I think I'm getting close. After all, I let the hero of my book Cleanse Fire join the challenge too, so that's DOUBLE work for my tired fingers. But my keyboard is holding up just fine so far!


Today, I'm talking about industry - as in knowing it. Research your market and the current industry trends for your genre is very important.


For example, take me - a high fantasy author. Looking at things on the surface it might seem like I'm wasting my time as Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance seems to be the HUGE hits right now. But, further research has told me that High Fantasy is making a rise in popularity as Urban Fantasy has run it's current course of huge demand.


No, I don't mean UF is fading to oblivion, far from it. But, High Fantasy is tends to stay toward the back of the trends, even when it's at a high point. I had a few agents tell me last year while I was trying to submit my book Burden of Prophecy, that High Fantasy was "coming back" as many editors and agents are looking for something other than vampire and werewolf stories that has been a huge popular topic as of late for obvious reasons.


Now, why would knowing this be important? Well, if you get your book out during a time when your genre is in high demand, the more likely people are to search for your genre (and thus find your book) to read. I also find, based on talking to other authors, that it is harder to get your book accepted if the trend doesn't show a need for your particular genre/story.


So, knowing what the market and industry trends are will greatly help you get your book out there - at the right time when it can reach the most readers. At least that is what my research has shown me.


Do you research your market and industry? I am constantly looking and reading for information about it. It's an ongoing thing. Keep in mind that most of the stuff you find on blogs and websites is about two years old. That is why constant research is important so you can keep up with the changing trends.

6 Responses to "I is for Industry"

Anonymous Says :
April 11, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Great post, Anastasia :) And it's good news for me with my Truth Teller series if high fantasy does make a big comeback. As you know, no one would touch my novel when vampires and werewolves were the 'in thing'.

I agree with you, the market rules what is being published and what isn't. That's why I wrote a new novel especially for the market even though it was against my principles. It came out great though, and I can't wait to see how it fairs in the market place.

Eric W. Trant Says :
April 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Yeah, it's cyclical. Remember how big zombies were in the 80s. And vampires.

Then it was horror and sci-fi in the 90s.

And it was horror and sci-fi in the 50s. And horror in the 70s.

I don't think I write fast enough anymore to catch a trend!

- Eric

Anastasia V. Pergakis Says :
April 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Kurt: Yes, I don't think I could write a story purposely to fit the market. You have greater skills than I do as if I tried it, the story would no doubt be horrible! LOL I'm sure your stories will go far - just gotta get over a few hurdles first.

Eric: I feel the same way! Luckily for me, research says that high fantasy and sci-fi is basically always in style, just sometimes bigger than other times. Just gotta find the right agent/publisher. *crosses fingers*

Dawn Embers Says :
April 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Great post. I casually pay attention to the industry, watching tweet chats like #askagent, #askeditor and other ones like #yalitchat. I do some research but try not to do too much during the beginning stages of novels because I don't want to get disappointed and give up on a novel before it is even written.

I will be doing more research as I finish edits and revisions once my beta readers are done with a book as part of my preparation to submit.

Anonymous Says :
April 12, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Awww, you should have more faith in yourself, mate! I thought exactly the same thing as you, my story would be rubbish, but I was wrong. You're a writer, its what you do :)

Anastasia V. Pergakis Says :
April 13, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Dawn: That's understandable. I pick up things here and there also through twitter and blogs and things like that. It's amazing the things you'll just pick up with tweetdeck open all day. :)

Kurt: Awww. I'll try to have more faith in myself. Thanks :)

Post a Comment