Imaginary Writer's Block

Author: Anastasia V. Pergakis // Category: ,


Yes, the dreaded words of all writers - Writer's Block. I am a firm believer that it is simply a figment of the imagination, thus making it hard to overcome.

My recent block - I have many ideas - but none for "The Faery's Tale" So, I am stuck in the middle of Chapter Five. Actually, I should say I am stuck at the beginning as I feel the first few chapters are dragging away from the main plot of the story. So, I believe that once I can get past that part, Chapter Five will flow easily.

But what to do? Chapter One is rewritten now and much more "catching" I think. But then Chapters 2, 3, & 4 just seem to drag the story but at the same time it seems important to the story later on. So, what can I do?

Seriously - any thoughts? Just kidding! It really is just a matter of me letting go of the scenes. There is so much I could take out (if I was to be completely honest of course) that would not drag the story quite so much. I just need to buckle down and do it.

Which brings me to the main point of this particular post. Sometimes in writing and rewriting, you just have to let go of a scene or entire chapter, no matter how great it is. When writing, I try to ask myself "Does this really need to be here? Does this take away from the plot? Is this were I want to story to go?" Then of course, I need to be honest with myself and take out the scene if it is not needed.

So there it is, my advice for the day. Be honest with yourself when you are writing and rewriting - otherwise you'll end up with a case of Imaginary Writer's Block.

0 Responses to "Imaginary Writer's Block"

Post a Comment